The perfect starter bit for your horse.
Thank you for supporting two small, independent, Made-in-the-USA businesses! (Phoenix Rising Saddles and Bowman Bits, USA)
Lab-tested 100% lead and heavy metal free! This bit is gentle, pinchless, and has plenty of tongue relief. It is designed for the young horse, and possesses many of the same features as the Imus Comfort Bit. The rider can start the horse by placing the reins on the middle, or snaffle, ring of the bit. Once the youngster has mastered the art of balancing the rider's weight, halting, stopping, turning, and backing on cue, a chin strap is added to the top ring of the bit, and the reins are moved down to the lower rings. This gives the bit a mild curb effect, encouraging light flexion at the poll and slight rounding through the back.
One full season of working with this bit is recommended before moving the horse in to the Imus Comfort Bit for higher level training. Just think how much confusion is avoided, as the horse is already accustomed to the action of the curb bit when it is first introduced! (This bit is an invaluable tool for retraining horses that have become stiff and sour to harsher bits.)
The mouthpiece is 5" but it accommodates between a 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" mouth. It's pinchless so if it's a little snug (not tight) at the corner of the lips it won't be uncomfortable or interfere with the action of the curb. If it fits a little large that's okay too because the bit is designed to give a nice rolling request at the lips and there is no point when the rider takes on the reins that the bit is pulled from side to side.
- This unique bit has a mouthpiece that offers plenty of tongue relief encouraging the horse to drop his head into the bit rather than stiffening up against it.
- It is built with flush brass fittings in the pinchless mouthpiece and has very smooth independent action from side to side.
- All Imus Bits purchased from Phoenix Rising Saddles have our registered trademark 4-Beat logo engraved on them for authenticity! See photo for details.
- All bits are made in the USA using precision engineering, cutting edge technology and the highest quality of materials available.
- 5 Year Warranty!
We are often asked to clarify what exactly we improved about our Imus line of bits in 2013.
- They are now precision engineered and made in the USA with the highest quality material available
- Re-engineered internal workings to strengthen working parts and facilitate the smoothest movement.
- Lengthened and slightly flattened the copper roller to cover all movable parts in the mouthpiece. This completely covers the bushings to keep the bit completely pinchless, and prevents damage to structural integrity from torque. (pictures of lookalike bits often have their mouthpieces and copper rollers edited to look this way, but the bushings are actually exposed)
- Made bushings internal on the cheek-pieces to strengthen and prevent loosening and pinching
- Manufactured with their original purchase-to-shank ratio, which is key to effect the proper sequence of actions with the bit.
- Manufactured with proper angles of shanks
- Backed by a 5 Year warranty
- Lab-tested 100% free of lead and other heavy metals
Important Note: Our bits cost us more to produce than what the imitations retail for. Phoenix Rising Saddles is the only distributor of the Imus line of products. Other companies sell cheaper imitations of the older style bit and sell them under the name "Comfort Gait Bit" or "Training Transition Bit" If it doesn't have our Registered Trademark 4-Beat logo engraved on the it, it's not a true 2nd Generation Imus bit.
Excellent customer service.
I like the bit. I was worried about the weight of it when it came, but my mare is responding to it very well. I used it in an endurance ride over the weekend, and had great responses from her. I'll continue to use it.
I purchased this bit to help with breaking my two year old Filly. After multiple other bits, she took this one and we’ve never looked back! No chewing on it, no tongue rolling, just go. Would highly recommend!
I really like the Imus training/transition bit so far. It's clearly well made, and playing around with it in your hands you can tell it is truly "pinchless" (versus a classic snaffle, which can give a really painful pinch!). My 4-yo mare accepted the bit readily and I've been riding her in it for a few weeks with good results. I clipped the reins to the 'snaffle' part at first, and have since transitioned to the 'curb' part with no issue. Her mouth is a bit narrow, so this bit looks a little big on her and the curb strap that was provided was a little loose, but she still has some growing to do. My older mare has done great with it and it fits her mouth perfectly. Over all, I'm very happy with my purchase, and would eventually like to switch all their bits to this type!
In comparing the fit and finish between this training bit and 2 Mylars that I purchased, the Imus bit is put together much better. I had to drip vegetable oil in the new Mylar joints because they squeaked. So far I am thrilled with my Imus bit and am getting to know it with just my hands first. I have not gotten to use it on my horse yet, but I look forward to it. The reason why I bought it is because it stays a solid bar. My mft horse is very sensitive and prefers very little movement in his bit.